|ILS||Real-time status with OTS?||Example with NoveList Select|
Information needed for OTS Setup
The information needed to enable On the Shelf (OTS) depends on your ILS backend. Please review the list provided for your library’s ILS and send the information requested to email@example.com with a subject of “OTS Configuration - <your ILS> - <your library name>.”
- The ILS export specified below.
- You will want to send us regular replacement exports (we suggest monthly).
- Your system may have the functionality to automate the export send and notification email needed.
- If your library has been regularly sending us exports of ISBNs for filtering your catalog to only held titles for NoveList Select, this new export should replace that one. You will not need to send us two different export formats.
- Note: There is an Evergreen API that supports automatic harvesting of your collection. However, we were unable to obtain a complete harvest for any customers during the testing of this functionality, as Evergreen’s Web Services API was not built for such a wide-scale application. We discourage Evergreen customers from utilizing this feature for collection harvesting.
ILS Export for OTS and Self-Checkout Integration
A unique local collection export is required for configuration of On The Shelf (OTS) and integration with your self-checkout machine. We are working with ILS vendors to provide our mutual customers with step-by-step instructions for getting this export. Instructions, as available, can be found here.
If your ILS is not listed above, you will need to work with your ILS to generate this export. We can also work with a manually sent full MARC export if you have trouble. If going this route, we will need to know which MARC fields contain the Item ID, Item CallNo, and BibRecordID.
In order to configure these features, please provide an export that contains:
- ISBN (in 13-digit form, if possible)
- Item ID (may also be referred to as barcode id or inventory id)
- Item CallNo (call number)
- BibRecord ID (may be referred to as control number or control identifier)
- You will want your export to be in the order above and to include a header, using the with values "isbn," "itemid," "bibrecordcallno," "bibrecordid," and "title" (do not include quotation marks). If you cannot export in the above order, the header will allow us to process the file.
- The file should be tab delimited (other characters could be in the title field and interfere with processing).
- Make sure you get a record for every ISBN in the Bib Record and all of the Item IDs that map to those ISBNs. For example, a book record with 2 distinct ISBNs for which there are 5 items (5 Item IDs), should result in 10 export records.
- ISBNs should be in 13-digit format. If this is not possible, we can handle the conversion and remove the duplicates.
- It is expected that certain fields, such as ISBN or Item ID, will be repeated in your export.
- You can omit any Item ID that does not have an ISBN associated with it.
- You may have records where Call Number is an empty field. You can leave this field empty or mark as "null."
- Only include one ISBN/Item ID per line.
- In your export, please include both MARC fields 020$a and 020$z.
- The BibRecord ID field allows patrons to place holds.
Once you have your export, send our Support Team an email at NoveListSelectSupport@ebsco.com and we will send you instructions on how to get the file to us for processing. If you have questions about this export, please contact our Support Team. If you need assistance generating your export, please contact your ILS.
Use the below instructions to generate the needed export. You may need to make some slight adjustments for your export. While there is an Evergreen API that we can use to automatically harvest your collection (no manual exports needed), it was not designed for such a large scale use and may not successfully pull the needed data.
This report template was created using the "Item" source table. Below are screenshots of the report creation interface to show which displayed fields and filters were used.
Navigate to where you saved the template (for example, ILS_templates > Bibliographic Records > NoveList Select ISBN and item id list).
- When setting up the report, in Output Options select CSV Output.
- When you View Output, Save CSV Output file to your computer.
- The CSV file has an extension name of .csv. Open the file with Microsoft Excel.
- Excel prompts you to convert the file. If you have a newer version of Excel, you may not be prompted to convert your .csv file. To manually convert the file:
- Click the Data tab in the toolbar.
- Select the From Text button.
- Locate the CSV file on your local computer, and click Open.
- The Text Import Wizard should now open.
- The file is delimited. Accept double quotes as the text qualifier. Select Other Delimiters checkbox and type in , (comma). Click Next to Data View.
- The first column (ISBN) is highlighted. Change the Data column format from General to Text. Click Finish.
- Expand the barcode column to make sure it is display full 14 digit barcode.
- The file should be loaded.
- Click File > Save As.
- In the prompt, type in a new name and choose Text (Tab delimited) in Save type as drop-down list.
- Click Save.