The Flipster app manages your magazines downloaded from the Flipster website for offline viewing on your Kindle Fire tablet.
Download and install the Flipster Kindle Fire app. (See installation instructions below.)
Kindle Fire OS up to version 188.8.131.52
Please note, with OS version 184.108.40.206, the Kindle Fire tablet no longer supports the ability to download and install apps available outside of the Kindle Fire app store.
How to Download
To install the Flipster app on Kindle Fire:
From the pull down menu of your Kindle Fire, go to Settings.
Select Security and ensure the setting named Apps from Unknown Sources (allow installation of applications that are not from Appstore) is set to ON.
From your device, download the APK (app installer) by long-pressing on the following link and then selecting Download link:
Once the download is complete, open to the Docs apps on your Kindle Fire and tap Local Storage.
Tap the Download folder and then tap the flipster_kindle APK file.
Tap Install at the bottom of the screen.
Once the app has installed, tap Open to begin using the app.
- Locate participating libraries
- Search or Browse for and download popular magazines and read them offline
- Digital table of contents for each magazine
- Read articles in text view
- Tap highlighted areas to jump to articles and related websites
- Track percentage of magazine read
Finding Your Library
After downloading the app to your device, you must find your library before searching for magazines.
To find your library:
Open the Flipster app on your device.
Tap Get Started.
Tap Allow if you would like to enable the app to use your location to suggest libraries near you that offers Flipster. Otherwise, tap Deny to manually search for libraries by using a library name, postal code, city, or state/province.
Tap the Log In button for your library.
Enter your Flipster login values (user ID and password, library bar code, etc.) and tap Login.
After logging in, you are taken to the Explore screen of the Flipster app, displaying the titles available from your library.
Searching for Flipster Magazines
To search for magazines in the app:
Tap the Magnifying Glass icon in the upper-right corner of the Explore screen.
Tap the search field and enter your keywords, such as title, publisher, or category.
As you type, Flipster displays titles related to your keywords.
Tap the Download icon to download an issue to your device, or tap the cover to learn more about it.
Browsing Flipster Magazines
To browse magazines in the app:
Browse from the All Magazines area displayed.
Tap the Menu icon in the upper-left corner of the Explore screen to open the navigation drawer and select a particular category of magazines to display.
- Tap the Information icon below the cover to learn more about a title, including a brief description as well as the available back issues.
Tap the Download icon for a title you would like to download.
The My Shelf screen of the Flipster app displays the issues you have downloaded to your device.
- When a title is downloaded, it appears as in your library.
- Tap the Menu icon in the upper-left corner to open the navigation drawer and select to view all magazines sorted alphabetically or by the most recently downloaded.
- Tap the trash can icon to delete a magazine from the app.
Reading an Issue
- Swipe your finger left or right to flip through pages of the magazine.
- Tap the Table of Contents icon in the upper right-hand corner to view the digital table of contents with links to each article.
- Tap the icon in the upper left-hand corner to read the magazine in full screen mode. Tap it again to exit full screen mode.
- Tap My Shelf to return to your library of magazines in the app.
- Tap Text View to read a text only version of an article with images and ads removed.
- When multiple articles appear on a page, you can select the text only version of a specific article from a drop-down menu.
- Tap the back arrow icon to return to the page view of the magazine.
Q: What authentication types are NOT currently supported by the Flipster Kindle app?
A: At this time, the only methods we have validated are IP, CPID, UID, and Patron Files. This means that Proxy, OpenAthens, Shibboleth, and SSO have not been validated and are therefore not officially supported authentication methods for the Flipster Kindle app. We intend to test these in the future and will be happy to support those when we have confirmed their functionality.
Q. Are back issues available from the app?
A. Yes. Back issues are available from the magazine detail screen. Tap the Information icon for a magazine to view and download the available back issues.
Q. Is there a limit of how many magazines I can download to the app?
A. No, you can download as many magazines as you’d like.
Q. Do the issues I download to the app expire?
A. Some select titles will expire and will need to be deleted from your device. These titles display an expired icon and appear grayed out when no longer available to read. Select weekly titles may expire in 2 days while select monthly or seasonal titles may expire in 7 days.
Q. After an issue expires, can I download it again?
A. Yes, simply return to the Explore Screen within the app and re-download the magazine.
Q. How do I delete an issue?
A. Tap on the trash can icon in the lower right corner of each magazine cover to delete it.
Q. What is the % number in the lower left corner of each cover image?
A. When you first download a magazine but haven’t read any of the contents, you’ll see a label in the lower left corner of each magazine cover. Once you begin reading the magazine, the label is removed and replaced with a % number that tracks how much of the magazine you’ve read.
Q. Can I add multiple libraries in the Flipster app?
A. Yes. However, if you toggle between libraries you have added to the app, the available magazines will dynamically change to reflect each library’s Flipster collection.
To add another library:
- Tap the Menu icon in the upper-left corner to open the navigation drawer.
- Tap Settings.
Note: If accessing from the Explore screen, tap your library name at the top of the menu to switch from the Categories view to the Settings view.
- Tap Add a Library.
- Tap the location icon above your device's keyboard or enter a library name, postal code, city, or state/province to find a library near you that offers Flipster
- Tap Search.
- Tap the Log In button for your desired library.
- Enter your Flipster login values (user ID and password, patron ID, etc.) and tap Login.
Q: Why did the Flipster app request to use my location?
A: Allowing the Flipster app to use your location enables our geolocation functionality, which will return libraries within 50 miles of your current location that have access to Flipster content. This is an optional feature which streamlines the process of finding your library to log in and browse their Flipster titles. This is completely optional; if using location services is not desired, users can still manually enter search terms to find their library within the app.
Q: I got results in Find My Library that I didn’t expect; why?
A: Find My Library compares your search term against not just the library name or location you have entered, but other components of a library’s address. For example, searching for George will return libraries with “George” in the library name, as well as the street name, city name, and Georgia state (via fuzzy matching).
Q: What is fuzzy matching?
A: Fuzzy matching takes the search term and returns results that match all but one or two characters, to assist in providing the broadest set of results possible. This assists users in finding their library if they accidentally enter a typo or misspelling by providing both exact matches and similar matches via fuzzy matching.
Q: How do the Find My Library sort options work?
A: There are four options for sorting Find My Library results. Relevancy is the default order.
- Relevancy orders results with the closest match at the top and each other result in descending relevancy order (as calculated by our matching service).
- Name (A-Z) orders results alphabetically by library name.
- City orders results alphabetically by city name.
- State orders results alphabetically by state name.