What are the technology upgrades recently announced for 2018?
In 2018, EBSCO is upgrading our platform and services with the following enhancements:
- Enabling a set of privacy controls as part of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)* compliance initiative by May 2018
- Transitioning the EBSCOhost and EBSCO Discovery Service platform environments to HTTPS (TLS v1.2) in July 2018
* General Data Protection Regulations notes the need to provide users the right to request EBSCO erase personal data related to them. A series of privacy controls will be put into place to comply with the regulations, which includes an option to remove any personal information. For more information on GDPR, visit the EU-GDPR website.
Which services will be impacted by these investments?
- Customers will need to work with their Proxy vendors to correctly configure their proxies for HTTPS/SSL.
- Older client web browsers will need to be upgraded.
- Customers using Referring URL as a means of authentication will need to make updates to the configuration.
- Customized content linking will need to be updated.
What does transitioning to HTTPS impact?
We do know that it will impact some areas of authentication and some browsers, but we are conducting a full analysis of the impact of the transition to HTTPS. Our goal is ensure that the transition is smooth and that all customers are aware of any changes that need to be made to their accounts.
Which browser versions are recommended?
The list of browser versions listed on our Minimum Browser Requirements Help Site page will be compatible with the transition to HTTPS. We encourage customers to verify which browsers are used at their local site and make appropriate upgrades prior to July.
What is the change to referring URL authentication?
Beginning next year, referring URL authentication will require HTTPS in order to properly work with EBSCO URLs. We will provide more specific information on action that needs to be taken in the near future.
Which products and services are affected by this change?
We are currently focused on improvements to our EBSCOhost and EBSCO Discovery Service platforms. Information for additional EBSCO products will be available in the first part of 2018.