Thank you for choosing EBSCO Discovery Service's custom catalog. It is important for us to begin work on this as soon as possible, as it takes time for the EDS catalog specialists to set up, configure, and verify your data.
Note: Some of the questions relate to your existing ILS. If you have questions about your ILS, or the data, you may need to contact your provider directly.
The set-up of your custom catalog involves the following steps:
Please note that in order for EBSCO to access and harvest your catalog records via OAI-PMH, please add the following IP addresses to your network exceptions list:
- Export the records from your catalog. EBSCO supports catalog records in the following formats:
- MARC21 (preferred) See summary of included fields
- MARCXML See summary of included fields
- UNIMARC See summary of included fields
- Integrated KORMARC
- CMARC See summary of included fields
- SISIS See summary of included fields
- X-Ref See summary of included fields
- CEPAL See summary of included fields
- JordanMARC See summary of included fields
- Reference Manager XML See summary of included fields
- Cat-P See summary of included fields
- DanMARC See summary of included fields
- INTERMARC See summary of included fields
- SydneyPLUS XML See summary of included fields
- HeritageXML See summary of included fields
If you are unable to export data in one of these formats, please let us know what formats you have available. We will then follow up with you to discuss your catalog.
Records can be uploaded via EBSCO’s FTP server or, if supported by your catalog vendor, OAI-PMH.
EBSCO’s primary method for receiving data is through File Transfer Protocol (FTP). FTP allows you to easily send large files directly to an account specific for your institution using a unique username and password we provide. If you have not received a username and password, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
When uploading via FTP, files must be in machine-readable, or binary, format and the records must contain unique identifiers. Please review the following FAQs before uploading data to EBSCO’s FTP server:
- Procedures for Creating and Maintaining Records in your EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) Custom Catalog Database via FTP
- MARC Data Export Checklist for EBSCO Custom Catalog
- Getting started with an FTP Client for EDS Custom Catalogs
With OAI-PMH EBSCO can harvest your records (MARCXML format only) on a daily schedule without the need to export records and transfer them to our FTP site. When the harvest occurs we will automatically rebuild your catalog database. If you are interested in using OAI-PMH to harvest your MARCXML catalog data, please read the following FAQ before completing the catalog questionnaire:
Create a location lookup table. A location lookup table is used to create catalog location limiters specific to your institution based on the location information coded in your data. The location lookup table also translates location codes in your data to create facets in the Results List in EDS. A location lookup table is optional but strongly recommended. It can be added to your profile in the future upon request.Please review the following FAQ about creating your lookup table:
EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS) - Custom Catalog Location Lookup Table Overview
- Complete the custom catalog questionnaire. This includes providing us with the following information:
- Basic information about your library.
- Description for your catalog
- Information about your ILS
- Your metadata format and basic elements
- Information for setting up Real Time Availability Check (RTAC)
- Your location look-up table
Cuestionario disponible en español aquí.