In the next few months, EBSCO will be rolling out exciting upgrades to our Audiobooks offering. These changes include:
- Nearly twice the number of titles available for purchase, including bestsellers and top trade titles.
- Support for downloading audiobooks directly to a mobile device, eliminating the complicated step of transferring from desktop to portable.
- An all-new EBSCO Audiobooks app for Apple and Android devices enables listening to content on-the-go.
Additionally, in late May we will be enabling Personal User Authentication in your EBSCOadmin account. This authentication method allows users to log in with a My EBSCOhost account credential and is required for the EBSCO Audiobooks app. This change to your account will be done automatically and you do not need to take any action.
Authentication and User Management
How do I customize my audiobook settings?
EBSCOadmin allows you to manage many aspects of the audiobooks experience: the number of checkouts and holds permitted per user; enabling holds functionality; customizing the search experience and result list screen; reporting and statistics; and authentication. Specific information on each is available at: EBSCO eBooks and Audiobooks Customization with EBSCOadmin
What is Personal User Authentication (PUA)?
Personal User Authentication allows users and administrators to create personal user accounts for members of your institution. Personal user accounts enable users to access content seamlessly, without the need for extra steps to authenticate to your collection.
Learn more at: What is Personal User Authentication?
What are the benefits of PUA?
To download EBSCO eBooks and Audiobooks, users must log into a personalized My EBSCOhost account. Enabling PUA allows users to log into your library’s collection using their My EBSCOhost account credentials, authenticating and personalizing them in one step. PUA allows authenticated users to checkout and download eBooks and Audiobooks and also keep a bookshelf of titles with notes that they can return to again and again.
How do I manage Personal User accounts? What can I manage?
Personal User Authentication accounts can be managed in EBSCOadmin, on the Personal Users tab under Authentication. You can:
- Enable Personal User Authentication – Set to Yes and click Submit to enable Personal User Authentication for your users.
- Days Until Reauthorization – After you enable Personal User Authentication, you can select a number of days until users must reauthorize their Personal User Authentication logins. Select a number of days and click Submit. The default is 90 days.
- Add Personal User – Click to add Personal User accounts for your institution.
- Reset Selected Users to “Must Reauthorize” – Click this link if you want to force selected users to reauthorize their personal accounts. Users will receive an email with instructions to log in to reauthorize. This is an added security feature if you want to verify that certain users have the necessary rights to access your collection. Once they reauthorize, their personal user account will be valid until the next time they have to reauthorize, either after a certain number of days or until the administrator forces another reauthorization.
- Reset All Users to “Must Reauthorize” – Click this link to force all users to reauthorize their personal accounts. Users will receive an email with instructions to log in to reauthorize. This is an added security feature if you have changed your authentication procedures and would like to verify that all users at your institution have sufficient credentials to access your collection and maintain personal user accounts.
- Account Status Filter By – Use this drop-down to filter the list of Personal User accounts by:
- All Users
- Authorized Users
- Must Reauthorize
- Newly Created
- Update Required
What kind of authentication is supported for the app?
The only authentication methods currently supported for the app are PUA and Single Sign-On (SSO). These options simultaneously authenticate and personalize users (i.e. log users into their My EBSCOhost folder) which is required to access the titles they have checked out on EBSCOhost.
What if I’m set up for Single Sign-On Authentication (SSO)?
If your library is set up for SSO in EBSCOadmin, your users can log into the EBSCO Audiobooks app using their SSO credentials. To log in, users should select the Single Sign-On link on the login page in the app and follow the prompts to select your institution and sign in.
Note: There is an SSO option to enable JIT (just in time) personalization.
- JIT personalization is a good option to enable if you have no existing Audiobooks users.
- JIT personalization is NOT a good option if you have users with existing Audiobooks checkouts or actively using My EBSCOhost folders.
New User Experience
What is the new flow to use EBSCO Audiobooks?
Users will still discover your Audiobook titles as they do today: on EBSCOhost or EBSCO Discovery Service (EDS).
Once a title of interest is found, users will see a new “Borrow” button in place of the existing “Download” button shown today. When the “Borrow” button is clicked, if the title is available, the user will see a modal that allows them to select their desired borrowing duration.
The user selects the desired checkout period and click “Borrow”.
Once this is complete, the user will see a modal that instructs them to download the EBSCO Audiobooks app from the iTunes or Google Play store, and to log in using their My EBSCOhost (PUA) account credentials.
Once logged into the app, the user sees the titles they have checked out. The user then downloads the title to their device and begins listening!
When the Audiobook title expires at the end of their selected checkout period, it is returned to your collection for the next user to check out.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do we still need to use Download Manager?
No, the Download Manager software will no longer be required. We have developed an improved workflow that leverages the brand-new EBSCO Audiobooks app for retrieving and listening to Audiobooks which replaces the old process of downloading titles to a desktop computer then transferring it to a device if desired.
What mobile devices are supported?
The new app will be available for Apple devices running iOS 7.0 and above and Android devices running Android 4.0.3 and above.
Can I still listen to audiobooks on my desktop or laptop computer?
No. We heard from customers and users that their number one need was to easily download titles to their mobile devices, so we are launching the new product with this functionality as it is in highest demand.
Can users delete audiobooks within the app?
Yes. Users may wish to delete a file from the app if it is large or they have finished listening to the book. Within the EBSCO Audiobooks app, each title has a “Delete” button that removes the file from their device. It does not impact the user’s checkout, so they can choose to download the file again if their checkout has not expired.
Can users return titles early?
Not at this time. Titles will expire at the end of the user’s selected checkout period and become immediately available for the next user to check out. We recommend reviewing the following Audiobook settings in EBSCOadmin and adjusting them to meet your users’ needs:
Maximum Simultaneous Checkouts, Per User - You may wish to increase the number of maximum checkouts per user as users cannot return titles early, even if they’ve finished listening.
Checkout Duration / Checkout Duration Format - Decreasing the checkout duration will return titles to circulation sooner.
Allow Users to Select Checkout Duration - Educate your users that they can select less than the maximum checkout duration if they do not anticipate needing the entire time to finish listening.
Allow Holds - We recommend allowing holds for Audiobooks so users can place a hold on popular titles and receive a notification when the book is ready for them.
Number of Holds Allowed - A higher number of allowed holds will let users register their interest in many titles and use the one that becomes available first.
Enable Turnaway Alerts - This will let you know when users are attempting to access a title but are turned away due to a limited number of copies. Enabling these alerts allows you to know in real-time when a turnaway occurs so you can purchase another copy and fulfill that user’s need.