How are titles from Australia and New Zealand added to NoveList? What does NoveList track?
- Good Reading Magazine
- Australian Book Review
- National and regional awards and shortlisted titles
- Books+Publishing bestsellers lists
- Booksellers NZ bestsellers lists
NoveList is partnering with ALS Library Services to expand our ISBN coverage to connect our content to Australian, New Zealand, and British editions, improve our book jacket coverage, and catalog materials most relevant to Australian libraries in real time.
NoveList tracks a large number of literary awards from Australia and New Zealand, including:
- Prime Minister’s Literary Awards
- Australian Book Industry Awards
- Nielsen BookData Booksellers’ Choice Award
- Miles Franklin Award
- Stella Prize
- Children’s Book Council of Australia Awards
- New Zealand Book Awards for Children and Young Adults
- Ockham New Zealand Book Awards
- New Zealand Prime Minister’s Awards for Literary Achievement
- Storylines Notable Books
Here’s how you can easily find these awards:
- At the top of the NoveList homepage, hover over the “Browse By” drop-down menu and then select "Award Winners."
- Under the “Awards by Genre” heading on the right side of the Awards page, click the “Australia and New Zealand” link.
- You will pull up a Result List of all awards in NoveList from Australia and New Zealand. You can find awards of a particular genre by selecting a link from the Genre drop-down in the column on the left side of the Result List. You can also sort the list in a variety of ways.
- Select any award title link to view more information about an award, including a description and past winners.
How can I search for Australian and New Zealand authors and books?
Australian and New Zealand authors
Use the Author Nationality limiter to find books by authors from Australia or New Zealand:
- Click Advanced Search.
- From the Author Nationality limiter, select Australia or New Zealand.
- Click Search.
Australia and New Zealand books
We have special genres that allow you to search to both fiction and nonfiction (in NoveList Plus and NoveList K-8 Plus) from Australia and New Zealand.
- Click Advanced Search.
- Enter a genre term in the search box. Try “New Zealand fiction” or “Australian fiction,” or for a nonfiction search “New Zealand literature” or “Australian literature.”
- From the adjacent drop-down select GN Genre.
- Click Search.
Find more tips on searching for Australian and New Zealand books in our Finding books for readers in Australia & New Zealand search strategy.
What additional content does NoveList have for Australian or New Zealand users?
Recommended Reads Lists - NoveList’s Recommended Reads lists are ready-made lists of book recommendations. Each has approximately 20 titles grouped by sub-genre or topic. NoveList has Australian Fiction Recommended Reads lists for Teens and Ages 9-12.
- Recommended Reads lists are located on the left side of the homepage directly below the NoveList logo.
- Select the Fiction tab is selected under the Recommended Reads Lists heading (note that NoveList and NoveList K-8 will not have the Nonfiction tab).
- To find lists for a specific audience, select the appropriate reading level using the links under the Fiction tab.
- Click on “Australian Fiction” to open a pop-up list of subgenres for the age group selected.
- Selecting a subgenre from the pop-up will display a list of 18-20 selected titles.
Book Discussion Guides - Designed to prompt in-depth discussion with a book group, these guides can also be used by students to expand their own experience of a book. The Book Discussion Guides based on books by Australian authors include:
- The Paperbark Shoe by Goldie Goldbloom
- True History of the Kelly Gang by Peter Carey
- Women of the Inner Sea by Thomas Keneally
- Remembering Babylon by David Malouf
- Click the Advanced Search link under the Basic Search box.
- Type “australia” (not including the quotation marks) in the Search box.
- Select "SU Subject" from the drop-down menu to search subjects associated with the documents.
- From the Document Type limiter, select Book Discussion Guides.
- Click the Search button.
Note: If you have any feedback on our Australian and New Zealand content or suggestions for new content, contact us at NoveList@ebsco.com.