The Nursing Reference Center Plus (NRC Plus) Advanced Search screen offers keyword searching, search history and limiters to help you focus your search.
To create an Advanced Search:
Click the Advanced Search link below the Find field.
Enter your search terms in the Find field.
Use the drop-down menu to the left of the Find field to limit the search results to a specific category (Diseases, Skills, etc).
Note: If your institution subscribes to additional databases compatible with NRC Plus (for example, CINAHL or MEDLINE), results from those databases appear in your result list.
Use Limiters to narrow your search. For example:
- Full Text – limits search results to full text articles.
- Date of Publication – limits search results to articles from a specific date range.
- Evidence-Based Practice – limits to:
- Articles from evidence-based practice journals
- Articles about evidence-based practice
- Research articles (including systematic reviews, clinical trials, meta analyses, etc.)
- Commentaries on research studies (applying practice to research)
- Research Articles – limits to articles that are about a research study or examination of subject matter that uses investigational or experimental techniques. A research study includes data collection, subject selection, methodology, discussion of results, and application, if any.
- Age Groups – limits by age. Hold control key down for more than one choice.
Use Expanders to broaden your search:
- Apply related words– expands search results by including synonyms and plurals of your search terms, e.g., typing heart failure would also give results for cardiac.
- Also search within the full text of the articles – expands search results by finding your term(s) within the full text of the articles.
- Automatically “And” search terms – expands results by applying the AND operator between terms, e.g., typing heart disease would give results for heart and disease.
Click Search. A Result List is displayed.
A result list is displayed. Narrow search by Material Types as desired.
If you click the NRC Plus logo, you are returned to the Advanced Search Screen with all your search terms cleared.
If you click the Advanced Search link, you are returned to Advanced Search with search terms, limiters and expanders cleared.
If you apply the Publication date from limiter and Latest Revision date is present on a paper, it will be searched instead of Original Document date.