The following are frequently asked questions about Searchable Cited References, a feature in EBSCOhost.
What are Searchable Cited References?
Searchable Cited References connect users to additional information about EBSCOhost articles of interest. When a user initiates a Basic or Advanced keyword search, appropriate Cited References or Times Cited in this Database links are presented with the search results. When clicked, a Cited References link will present a list of records cited in the original article. If a user selects one or more of those references, and then clicks the Related Records button, the References sub-tab will present a list of records related to the original article. These records are sorted by relevance, based on the greatest number of shared cited references.
If a user clicks the Times Cited in this Database link on a result, the Citing Articles sub-tab will present a list of records that cite the original article. Cited References and Times Cited in this Database links are also displayed on the article detail page.
Additionally, users can search by Cited References. This functionality can be found on the search screen's toolbar button labeled Cited References. On the Cited References search screen, users can enter search terms in any or all of these fields: Cited Author, Cited Title, Cited Source, Cited Year or All Citation Fields, and then conduct a search.
Searchable Cited References:
- connect users to additional information about EBSCOhost articles
- lead users to lists of articles related to an original article (Related Records)
- enable users to search for references to particular authors, titles, years or sources, in EBSCOhost articles
How can I search EBSCOhost for articles that contain Searchable Cited References?
If a database has a Cited References option in the top toolbar, or a References Available limiter in the Search Options (located just below the Find field in EBSCOhost), you can limit your search to "only" those articles that have Searchable Cited References.
To use the References Available Limiter:
- Enter your search term(s) in the Find field.
- Click Search Options link below Find field.
- Under Limit your results, check the References Available box.
- Select any Limiters or Expanders you wish to apply.
- Click Search.
Note: You may also apply these Search Options from the Advanced Search Screen.
To browse or search Cited References using the link in the top toolbar, please see the EBSCOhost Browsing & Searching Cited References.
More information about Cited References can be found by clicking Help in EBSCOhost.
What are the criteria used for selecting journals for the Cited References / References Available feature in EBSCOhost?
EBSCO takes a number of factors into consideration when selecting journals for this feature. These factors include:
- Where the journal ranks in its discipline
- Where the journal ranks on known lists such as ISI’s JCR (Journal Citation Reports) and eigenfactor (eigenfactor.com)
- Circulation of the journal
- Usage of the journal
- Number of references the journal contains
- Average number of references per article, in the journal
Which databases support Searchable Cited References?
The following databases support Searchable Cited References:
- Abstracts in Social Gerontology
- Academic Search Alumni Edition
- Academic Search Complete
- Academic Search Premier
- Academic Search Ultimate
- America: History & Life
- America: History & Life with Full Text Alumni Edition
- America: History and Life with Full Text
- Applied Science & Technology Source
- Applied Science & Technology Source Ultimate
- Arab World Research Source
- Art & Architecture Complete
- Art & Architecture Source
- Biomedical Reference Collection: Comprehensive
- Biomedical Reference Collection: Corporate
- Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery Reference Center
- Business Source Alumni Edition
- Business Source Complete
- Business Source Corporate
- Business Source Corporate Plus
- Business Source Premier
- Business Source Ultimate
- CAPES FSTA Full Text Collection
- Caribbean Search
- CINAHL Complete
- CINAHL Plus
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text
- CINAHL with Full Text
- Communication & Mass Media Complete
- Communication Abstracts
- Communication Source
- Competency Center
- Computers & Applied Sciences Complete
- Criminal Justice Abstracts
- Criminal Justice Abstracts with Full Text
- Dentistry & Oral Sciences Source
- Dentistry & Oral Sciences Source Alumni Edition
- EBSCO Chemical Engineering Collection: India
- EBSCO Geotechnology Collection: India
- EBSCO Polytechnic Studies Collection: India
- ECA Full Text Collection
- EconLit with Full Text
- Education Research Complete
- Education Source
- Energy & Power Source
- Entrepreneurial Studies Source
- Environment Complete
- Environment Index
- Film & Television Literature Index with Full Text
- Finance Source
- Fonte Acadêmica
- Food Science Source
- Fuente Académica Premier
- Health Policy Reference Center
- Historical Abstracts
- Historical Abstracts with Full Text
- Historical Abstracts with Full Text Alumni Edition
- Hospitality & Tourism Complete
- Hospitality & Tourism Index
- HR People & Strategy
- HR Source
- Humanities International Complete
- Humanities International Index
- Humanities Source
- Humanities Source Ultimate
- Information Science & Technology Abstracts (ISTA)
- International Security & Counter Terrorism Reference Center
- IT Source
- Leadership & Management Source
- Leadership & Management Source Plus
- Legal Source
- LGBT Life
- LGBT Life with Full Text
- Library & Information Science Source
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts
- Library, Information Science & Technology Abstracts with Full Text
- Literary Reference Center
- Literary Reference Center Plus
- MLA Full Text Accessibility
- MLA International Bibliography
- Music Index
- NCA Collection
- Nonprofit Organization Reference Center
- Nursing & Allied Health Collection: Comprehensive
- Peace Research Abstracts
- Philosophers Index with Full Text
- Poetry & Short Story Reference Center
- Political Science Complete
- Public Affairs Index
- Risk Management Reference Center
- Sales & Marketing Source
- SocINDEX with Full Text
- Sociology Source Ultimate
- SPORTDiscus with Full Text
- STM Source
- Sustainability Reference Center
- The Belt and Road Initiative Reference Source
- ULAKBİM Ulusal Veri Tabanları (UVT) - ULAKBIM Turkish National Databases
- Violence & Abuse Abstracts