DynaMed Search: Clinical Case Scenarios
#3 Comparing Clinical Prediction Rules for Likelihood of Pulmonary Embolism
Mr. Y, an obese patient with a history of cigarette smoking and controlled hypertension, is planning two international flights over the next 3 months. The internist is concerned about Mr. Y’s medical history and sedentary lifestyle.
What is his risk for deep vein thrombosis and/or pulmonary embolism?
- Pulmonary Embolism or PE, or
- Deep Vein Thrombosis or DVT, then
- Related Summaries, then
- Pulmonary Embolism
Select Diagnosis from the Table of Contents or scroll through text
- Making the Diagnosis, then Clinical prediction
- Click on Clinical prediction of likelihood of pulmonary embolism
- Select Pisa model from Table of Contents or within text.
- Read Evidence for Pisa model without chest x-ray
- Go to Online calculators and click on PISAMODEL2.
The internist notes the most valid evidence for assessing the likelihood of PE and uses the Pisa model for prediction.