Q. What is the Business Searching Interface?
The Business Searching Interface (BSI) is EBSCO's highly focused user interface created especially for the business searcher. Business Searching Interface provides an easy way to both browse and search for country economic data, company profiles, industry information and market research.
The Business Searching Interface was designed to take full advantage of all of the diverse content available in our Business Source Premier, Business Source Premier: Alumni Edition, Business Source Corporate, Business Source Corporate Plus, and Business Source Complete databases - the definitive research tools for business journals and other sources.
The Business Searching Interface is a completely separate user experience from the typical EBSCOhost experience. Since this interface was designed exclusively for the Business Source suite of databases, users should be directed to Business Searching Interface when they are searching for business information.
If users are interested in multiple (non-business) subjects, librarians should direct them to the standard EBSCOhost interface.
Q. Can I search multiple databases on Business Searching Interface?
If your library subscribes to specific databases, the Business Searching Interface (BSI) provides the ability to search more than one database at the same time.
To search more than one database on Business Searching Interface:
Click the Choose Databases link above the Find field.
The Choose Databases window is displayed.
Mark the check boxes to the left of the databases that you want to search.
Click the OK button at the bottom of the window.
You are returned to the search screen and the selected databases are added to your searches.
Q. Which databases are compatible with multi-database searching on Business Searching Interface?
Main Databases - the library must subscribe to at least one of these databases:
- Business Source Complete (bth)
- Business Source Premier (buh)
- Business Source Corporate (bch)
- Business Source Corporate Plus (plh)
- Business Source Ultimate (bsu)
Additional Databases Compatible with Multi-Database Searching
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Management (lmh)
- EconLit (ecn)
- EconLit with Full Text (eoh)
- Hospitality and Tourism Index (hoh)
- Hospitality & Tourism Complete (hjh)
- Insurance Periodicals Index (iph)
- McClatchy-Tribune Collection* (krh) (Business Source Corporate only)
- Regional Business News (bwh)
Q. How do I setup my persistent links to point to Business Searching Interface?
To guarantee that all persistent links displayed while using the Business Searching Interface will lead the user to the new BSI interface you need to set the Site Information on Persistent Links question to Yes on the Linking Sub-Tab in EBSCOadmin for the BSI profile.
To set a persistent link to point to Business Searching Interface:
- Log in to EBSCOadmin at http://eadmin.ebscohost.com.
- From the Customized Services Tab, click the Linking Sub-Tab.
- From the Choose Profile drop-down list, select a BSI profile that you have already set up.
- In the Site Information on Persistent Links field, set the radio button to Yes.
- Click Save. Your changes are saved.
To update existing links in your library catalog:
If you would like to update the persistent links already in your catalog to use the new interface, add &site=bsi-live to the end of your existing links.
Note: EBSCO is planning to provide alternate MARC files for Business Source Premier and Business Source Corporate that are BSI specific.
Q. How do I choose the destination of the Search Other Databases link on Business Searching Interface?
You can direct the Search Other Databases link on the Business Searching Interface to point to an EBSCOhost Profile, to an Other URL, or to a Select Service Page (the default).
To choose the destination of the Search Other Databases link on Business Searching Interface:
Log in to EBSCOadmin at http://eadmin.ebscohost.com/eadmin/login.asp.
Select a Business Searching Interface profile.
Click Customize Services>Searching.
Make your entries in the following fields:
- Search Other Databases - Indicate where the Search Other Databases link on the Business Searching Interface should point: to an EBSCOhost Profile, to an Other URL, or to a Select Service Page (the default).
- EBSCOhost Profile - If you want the Search Other Databases link on Business Searching Interface to point to an EBSCOhost profile, select that EBSCOhost profile from the drop-down list.
- Other URL (if applicable) - If you want the Search Other Databases link on Business Searching Interface to point to a different URL, enter that URL in the text-entry field.
Click Submit. Your changes are saved.
Q. How can I set up a URL to link directly into the Business Searching Interface?
URL parameters can be used to enable direct links from an external web page to the Business Searching Interface (BSI) Search Screen. A sample URL is:
Accessing BSI via a direct URL means that users will bypass the Choose Databases screen.
The URL can be modified for other login pages, for example:
If your library has always had one profile, you may notice a change in the way your users access EBSCOhost. With the addition of the Business Searching Interface (BSI), we are automatically adding a BSI new profile if you subscribe to either Business Source Premier or Business Source Corporate.
The result of this change is that your users will reach our Select Service Screen rather than the Choose Databases Screen. If you would prefer to bypass the Select Service Screen and go to the Choose Databases Screen, you should pass the profile parameter on your URL. For example, to reach the Business Searching Interface, use this URL: